[Development] ChangeLogs

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 01:31:14 CET 2013

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Jason McDonald <macadder1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2013 at 1:05 AM, Oswald Buddenhagen
> <oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com> wrote:
>> as some certainly noted, the completeness of dist/changes-* severely
>> deteriorated over the last few minor releases, and in particular 5.0.0
>> is one of the poorest qt changelogs seen in a while.
>>
>> also, sergio is now attempting to make 5.0.1 changelogs in a heroic
>> one-man-effort - not entirely surprisingly, this turns out to be a tad
>> more tedious than planned.
>
> I was quietly wondering to myself how long it would take for someone
> to notice that I stopped acting as editor for the changelogs when I
> left Nokia.
>
> As Sergio has no doubt discovered, manually generating the changes
> file is a tedious and time-consuming process, particularly when the
> level of co-operation from developers is low to non-existent.
>
> [...]
>
> So, based on my bitter experience, here are my recommendations:
>
> 1. Let's acknowledge that writing the changes file is going to have to
> be a manual process due to the complexity of the decision-making and
> the lack of a strict development process.

Yes, it will have to be an ultimately manual process. But I like how
your later suggestions provide hope that tools and processes can make
the manual part easier.

> 2. Let's agree that module maintainers should be responsible for their
> module's changes file, and clearly document that responsibility on the
> part of the wiki that lists a maintainer's duties.

+1. Release manager would still be responsible for chasing them up though ;) .

> 3. Let's call for volunteers to prototype a new changelog tool along
> similar lines to the old one, but this time with a better UI, the
> ability to share data between users via a git repo, and some kind of
> checklist to assist the decision-making process.  I'm happy to help
> with setting requirements, but I regret that I won't be able to do
> much more than that as my new full-time job does not involve Qt.

I'd start playing around with a QML prototype (nothing I love better
;) ) but requirements like "better UI" are too vague to even get
started. Especially since I can't recall what the old Trolltech tool
looked like. Could you flesh out initial ideas a little more, so
potential volunteers could prototype their prototype?

> 4. Let's try to make the job of our maintainers that little bit easier
> by writing good commit summaries and diligently reviewing the commit
> summaries of our peers.

+1, but I think the tool is a more realistic way of making the task
easier for the maintainers.

--
Alan Alpert