[Development] abandoning stale changes on gerrit

André Pönitz andre.poenitz at mathematik.tu-chemnitz.de
Tue Jan 29 21:40:55 CET 2013

On Tue, Jan 29, 2013 at 08:10:45AM -0800, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 29 de janeiro de 2013 15.57.18, Poenitz Andre wrote:
> > My dashboard still fits a screen, even with a few old items in it.
> > If yours doesn't and you don't like that (I wouldn't...) unsubscribe
> > yourself. Destroying other people's work is not an option.
>
> There's no destroying. All abandoned submissions can be un-abandoned
> by the author.

I am happy with my dashboard as it is.

Most items (19 of 21 on a quick survey) do not affect anyone who took
part in this discussion so far. I don't think any kind of activity
would help to clean up _their_ dashboards in those cases, and I don't
think I owe any kind of activity to keep the status quo.

> I could unsubscribe from stuff that is stale. But it doesn't help me
> do my job as a maintainer, since I don't know what reviews are stuck
> and need a maintainer to make a decision.

Unsubscribing seems to be indeed the best solution, with or without
comment, depending on case.

In case explicit maintainer interaction is needed to settle a dispute
it should be clear from the discussion. In cases where it's just a
kind of "CC: maintainer, FYI" kind of "forced" subscription some
"I trust you do to the right thing without me watching the case" or
even a silent unsubscription seems to be in order.

Andre'