[Development] abandoning stale changes on gerrit

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Thu Jan 31 13:08:11 CET 2013

On Thu, Jan 31, 2013 at 10:58:13AM +0000, Rutledge Shawn wrote:
> I question your right to unilaterally decide to put the kibosh on
> other people's patches, automatically, across the whole project, even
> when they are not on your own review list.

as i stated before, i'm driving forward a process to decide the
execution details of a previously made decision.

> You've had enough feedback from others too about _that_ idea.

so how many people was it? two? three? sorry, not relevant with the
arguments given.

> On 29 Jan 2013, at 8:37 PM, Alan Alpert wrote:
> > I don't see what the problem is for these to be marked abandoned until
> > work resumes on them.
>
> Because they become hard to find.

no, they don't. all you need to enter into the search field is
  owner:shawn.rutledge is:abandoned

you can even make a browser bookmark for that.

> > Unless you're using your gerrit dashboard as a todo list, in which
> > case you need to learn to use JIRA for that.
>
> We all have our own ways of remembering things, so I don't think you
> should be saying that one of them is wrong if it's actually helpful.

actually, we have a unified set of tools, and for optimal use of those
tools we need to stick to reasonably unified processes. you can use
whatever *other* tools you like for your custom processes.

> > Also try looking at it from the other perspective - we could add a
> > filter for you that shows your abandoned patches for easy tracking
> > :)
>
> That's a really good idea, as long as there's a guarantee that
> abandoned patches don't get deleted until I want them to be.  Then we
> could label it "deferred", at least that sounds better to me.

introducing a separate state isn't necessarily a bad idea.
however, from a single user's perspective i don't see a difference to
starring the still relevant changes, and i have doubts that making the
owner's expectations regarding particular changes globally visible would
actually add any value.

> I figured somebody is going to unilaterally decide to garbage-collect
> them some day, if it's not already scheduled.

now you are seeing things.