[Development] issue in minimal plugin

Paul Olav Tvete paul.tvete at digia.com
Thu Jan 31 13:53:56 CET 2013

On Wednesday 30 January 2013 07:58:25 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quarta-feira, 30 de janeiro de 2013 17.17.46, Mumtaz Ahmad wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am trying to run rasterwindow example using minimal plugin but i am
> > getting null paint device
> > QPainter::begin: Paint device returned engine == 0, type: 3
> >
> > Is it known issue in QT5.0?
>
> The minimal plugin is not meant to be used when running applications. It's
> meant only as a helper for porting Qt to new platforms and writing new
> plugins.

The minimal plugin is definitely not suited for production. No-one needs to fill
up their file system with screenshots of a running application.

However, there are cases where something like the minimal plugin is useful for
real applications: WebKit is one example. I recently had a discussion with
Simon about this, and the solution we came up with was moving the current
minimal plugin to examples, and write a new plugin for applications that need
to do graphics without connecting to a windowing system.

- Paul