[Development] QWidget::createWindowContainer and keyboard focus issues

Chris Meyer cmeyer1969+qt at gmail.com
Tue Jul 2 23:45:43 CEST 2013

I've been doing testing with Qt 5.1.0rc2. My application mixes QWidgets and
Qml. I've been using QWidget::createWindowContainer which I don't think
it's ready for release.

I've encountered numerous keyboard focus issues that make
QWidget::createWindowContainer difficult to use and I haven't been able to
find workarounds.

Particularly, on Mac, switching to another application and back causes the
embedded Qml widget to lose focus and there doesn't seem to be a way to get
it back. (QTBUG-32175).

On Windows, the QApplication::activeWindow() returns NULL if the embedded
Qml widget has focus (QTBUG-32177) and QMenu shortcuts don't work if Qml
has focus (QTBUG-32180).

There are several other bugs reported by others that are similar in
seriousness and nature to these.

Finally, a general comment on the design of QWidget::createWindowContainer:
Since it is a factory, there is no way to override or extend the behavior
of the widget it returns. That's annoying when encountering bugs like the
ones above. Why a factory method here instead of an extendable /
overridable class?