[Development] Qt Project 'official way' and maintenance? (Was: Qt 5.1.0 rc2 is out)

Laszlo Papp lpapp at kde.org
Wed Jul 3 13:04:08 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM, Tor Arne Vestbø
<tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com>wrote:

> On 7/3/13 12:12 , Laszlo Papp wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM, Tor Arne Vestbø
>> <tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com <mailto:tor.arne.vestbo at digia.**com<tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com>>>
>> wrote:
>>
>>     There is also the question of platform support. Is cmake as relevant
>> on
>>     Windows or OSX as it is on Linux? More so?
>>

>> Not sure what exactly you mean by relevant, but cmake is a
>> /cross/-/platform/, open-source build system. It has been used on
>>
>> Windows and OS X extensively out there for a while.
>>

> Relevant for Qt.
>
> What percentage of Qt developers develop on Windows?
> Out of those, what percentage use cmake over qmake?
>
> At some point the cost of maintaining (blocking CI integration e.g.) a
> build system (or any feature) that has a low relevance on a given platform
> becomes higher than the benefit.
>
> tor arne

Still not exactly sure what you mean by "Qt developers". People working on
or with Qt? :)

I can mention a few projects working _with_ Qt and for whom, Stephen's work
might be appealing:

1) KDE Windows. As you may already know, KDE is a relatively large project
around Qt.
2) I had several Windows clients as well using Qt in their projects while
using cmake.
3) Quassel is also using cmake for instance if I recall correctly.
4) I came across a lot of mobile application developers in the Harmattan,
Blackberry, and so forth communities who were using cmake, and then later
they ported their applications to desktop as well, including Windows.
5) There are tons of C++ software projects out there, who have been using
cmake, and will probably utilize Qt more and more.
6) etc.

There is a fairly large portion in my humble, but a bit biased opinion. :-)

Laszlo