[Development] Qt Project 'official way' and maintenance? (Was: Qt 5.1.0 rc2 is out)

Pau Garcia i Quiles pgquiles at elpauer.org
Wed Jul 3 13:17:12 CEST 2013

On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:28 PM, Tor Arne Vestbø
<tor.arne.vestbo at digia.com>wrote:

What percentage of Qt developers develop on Windows?

Significant. Even when developing only for Windows, using Qt over Visual
C++ makes worlds of difference.

And it's not only Windows, it's also the cross-build features CMake
provides (still not up to autotools but getting closer)

Out of those, what percentage use cmake over qmake?

Any project which depends on pre-built third-party libraries is better off
with CMake over QMake thanks to features such as find_package. If the
project is cross-platform, more so.

In fact, even if the third-party libraries are not pre-built but will be
built as part of the project you are working on, CMake provides
ExternalProject which makes it easy to automatically download (optional)
and build those third-parties.

I don't know whether qbs is making any progress in regards to find_package
or ExternalProject but for us those features have become ESSENTIAL in a
build system for any non-toy application.

--
Pau Garcia i Quiles
http://www.elpauer.org