[Development] GDB python pretty printers for common Qt classes

Milian Wolff mail at milianw.de
Thu Jul 18 22:58:50 CEST 2013

Hey all!

KDevelop is since some time relying on python pretty printers to stringify
common Qt container classes when using GDB [1]. They work nicely in any GDB
console, as long as you compile your app with -O0 -g -fno-inline. If you don't
do that, the existing pretty printers will start to fail. To improve that
situation, I would like to start rewriting the pretty printers and rely more
on the actual internal Qt implementation.

Since this might change between versions, I would very much welcome if we
could get these pretty printers into Qt itself. Note that while the existing
code we wrote is mostly for Qt4, afaik it also works relatively OK for Qt5
already. I think getting it upstream for Qt5 only would be good.

Feedback? And, if this is accepted - where should such files reside? Should
they accompany each Qt module? Or should there be a central pretty printer
file? What classes should be pretty-printable?

[1]:
https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/kdevelop/kdevelop/repository/revisions/master/entry/debuggers/gdb/printers/qt4.py

--
Milian Wolff