[Development] Is Xlib a hard requirement for Qt5 xcb?

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Tue Jul 30 10:14:33 CEST 2013

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:17:30AM -0700, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 30 de julho de 2013 08:31:55, Friedemann Kleint wrote:
> > For the system tray, I have been working on
> > https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,61046 which would remove
> > QtWidget's dependency on Xlib.
> > Very ideally, the system tray would be completely implemented within the
> > platform plugin, but that is not possible since it needs menus and
> > tooltip handling.
>
> Drop the old protocol and implement only the new D-Bus-based status notifier
> protocol.

you are being a tad optimistic here ... qt isn't exactly in a position
to dictate the platform to the end users of qt-based applications. the
timeframe for universal adoption of the new system tray protocol is 5-10
more years. not to mention that i (and probably some others as well)
think it is inherently broken to detach the systray's protocol layer
from the windowing system ...