[Development] Clarification on Mac 10.6 support for Qt 5.2

Jake Thomas Petroules jake.petroules at petroules.com
Wed Jun 5 06:03:14 CEST 2013

On Jun 4, 2013, at 11:26 PM, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

> On terça-feira, 4 de junho de 2013 19.32.57, Jake Thomas Petroules wrote:
>> Well, Xcode 5.0 will be dropping support for GCC, so the only way to target
>> 10.6 or below will be with clang + libstc++.
>
> Right, I missed that clang + libstdc++ was still possible with -no-c++11. It's
> a non-default option.
>
> I guess we conclude then:
> a) we can keep support for 10.6 for the time being, with macx-clang
> b) we should deprecate macx-g++, since XCode 5.0 will not have that anymore

That sounds fine.

>> 10.5 came out in 2007 and was dropped by Qt in 2012. 10.6 came out in 2009
>> so let's drop 10.6 somewhere around 2015 or even 2016 (I add a year because
>> of its higher market share). We should have 10.11 by then.
>
> I'm not sure I like that idea. We've always kept support for the past 3
> versions of Mac OS X. Until 10.9 now, that meant roughly 6 years of support
> from us. If we keep that rate, we should support 10.6 at least until June
> 2014.
>
> So, if we keep current practice, Qt 5.3 or 5.4 will drop support for it
> anyway. That's 2014, not 2015 or 2016.
>
> Also, please note we're talking about software that switches to Qt 5.2. That
> is, we're talking about software released in 2014. And people keep telling me
> that they can't upgrade Qt after a cycle started.

I was being half-sarcastic about 2016, but I do strongly disagree that we should indiscriminately support only N number of versions of OS X at a time; it's too rigid. I think significantly more weight should be given to the version's market share.

PS - adding new OS versions to QSysInfo and such: dev or stable?

> --

Jake Petroules
Chief Technology Officer
Petroules Corporation · www.petroules.com