[Development] Clarification on Mac 10.6 support for Qt 5.2

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Wed Jun 5 09:32:03 CEST 2013

On Tuesday 04 June 2013 15:55:10 Thiago Macieira wrote:
> Hello all
>
> As of 3d0a60aaa4077a8 in Qt 5.2, Qt requires libc++ in order to build on Mac
> with clang. That means the minimum deployment target for macx-clang is Mac
> OS X 10.7 now.
>
> Question: do we want to keep supporting Mac OS X 10.6? If so, for how long?
>
> And if not, can we drop macx-g++? The g++ compiler that comes bundled with
> XCode is broken and horribly outdated.
>
> What do you think?
>
> PS: OS X 10.9 is expected to be announced at WWDC this month. That means Qt
> 5.2 will need to support 10.9. At the same time, 10.6's last update will be
> over 2 years old when 5.2 ships.

This was already mentioned in the thread
"[Announce] Changes to building Qt on Mac OS X"

Can we not still target OS X 10.6 while using libc++?
(provided of course that libc++ is also shipped with that application in
addition to Qt for that platform)

That way we can still support os x 10.6 while stopping supporting obsolete
gcc.

(Then we could start using C++11 features in Qt, such as auto or lambda, which
I think are worth it)

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org