[Development] Clarification on Mac 10.6 support for Qt 5.2

Koehne Kai Kai.Koehne at digia.com
Fri Jun 7 12:22:56 CEST 2013

Alright, let's get this straight. After talking to Eike I understand the following:

Situation with Qt 5.0.x
 - binary installers are compiled with OS X 10.7
 - You can deploy with them to 10.6, except QtWebKit (missing symbol)
 - If you want to deploy QtWebKit with 10.6 you have to compile Qt yourself on OS X 10.6

So, the 10.6 story is already broken somewhat for QtWebKit, even with Qt 5.0.x ...

Situation with Qt 5.1 as it is
 - Binary installer is compiled with OS X 10.7
 - You cannot deploy with them to 10.6
 - If you want to deploy to 10.6 without QtWebKit you have to compile Qt yourself, on OS X 10.6, or on OS X 10.7 and above with -no-c++11 (to be verified)
 - If you want to deploy to 10.6 including QtWebKit you have to compile Qt yourself, on OS X 10.6

My suggestion:
 - Leave Qt 5.1.0 as it is right now, move on with the release process
 - Investigate providing an additional binary installer with Qt compiled 10.6 (e.g. with 5.1.1)
 - Thoroughly document the problem for people compiling their own Qt

Regards

Kai