[Development] Why we need two `Qt*.dll` copies on Windows?

Joerg Bornemann joerg.bornemann at digia.com
Mon Jun 10 11:05:35 CEST 2013

On 10/06/2013 08:50, Koehne Kai wrote:

>> Does some one notice there exists two QtDLLs on Windows, the one in
>> bin\Qt*.dll, and the other placed `lib\Qt*.dll`, WHY?

> To cite a commit by Ossi: " the dlls being in lib/ is kind of an accident (a side effect of how qmake builds them" (commit d8406d0e09c5bfa549f27). Anyway, the binary installers from 5.0.2 onwards ship the dll's only in bin.

To fix this we could do two things:
    - add a way in qmake to tell the linker to build the .lib files in
lib and the .dll files in bin,
    - or make hard links instead of copies.

The latter even works as non-admin but would need checks if hardlink
creation is possible on the affected partitions.

We also could just ignore this issue as it hasn't been a problem for the
last decade.

BR,

Joerg