[Development] Clarification on Mac 10.6 support for Qt 5.2

Bruning Michael Michael.Bruning at digia.com
Wed Jun 12 15:38:19 CEST 2013

Hi all,

On Tuesday, 11th June 2013 at 17:04, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On terça-feira, 11 de junho de 2013 09.26.23, Ziller Eike wrote:
>> When I build Qt 5.1 in the current standard configuration (e.g. with c++11
>> and therefore with libc++) I still get QtScript and QtWebKit built against
>> libstdc++ and with deployment target 10.6, even though the rest of Qt is
>> built against libc++ and with deployment target 10.7. Because they do
>> CONFIG -= c++11 . This will also happen for any other project / library etc
>> that explicitly doesn't want c++11.
>
> That's not a problem for API and ABI, since the Qt API and ABI do not expose
> any of the Standard Library. Therefore, no matter which one is used behind the
> scenes for Qt, the user application may still choose.
>
> Deployment, however...
>
>> The deployment target thing is probably
>> a lesser annoyance though it still is ugly, especially for QtWebKit and
>> QtScript which are *part* of Qt and should therefore build with the same
>> configuration. But does anyone know about the consequences of mixing libc++
>> and libstdc++ ?
>
> See above.
>
> My question is deployment: is there a libc++ on 10.6 for the Qt libraries to
> run against?

As far as I can see, libc++ was never officially supported by Apple on 10.6 and to get it built and running from sources, there's some handwork required and things might and probably will break without prior notice. So I would assume it safe to say that there is no libc++ for 10.6.

> If not, we need to turn it off.

You mean, disable C++11 support on Mac entirely?

Cheers,
Michael
--
Michael Brüning, Senior Software Engineer - Digia, Qt

Geschäftsführer: Mika Pälsi, Juha Varelius, Anja Wasenius