[Development] Removing the use of 'register'

Olivier Goffart olivier at woboq.com
Sat Jun 15 10:49:59 CEST 2013

On Saturday 15 June 2013 00:59:18 Giuseppe D'Angelo wrote:
> On 15 June 2013 00:37, Thiago Macieira <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > C++11 did not change the meaning of the keyword. This is a completely
> > made-up warning by Clang, like the GCC warning that says const in prvalue
> > return types makes no sense or the one telling you to use () around &&
> > with ||.
> No, "register" is officially deprecated (N3337 §D.2 [depr.register]),
> so the warning "makes sense". My concern was about getting such
> warnings from code we don't have control upon, that is, 3rdparty code
> (qtbase/3rdparty, webkit, v8...)

We need to remove 'register' in our code.  Especially in public headers.

For third party code such as v8 or webkit, it does not make sens to patch
those project for that (But we could submit patches upstream, if we really
want to.)

--
Olivier

Woboq - Qt services and support - http://woboq.com - http://code.woboq.org