[Development] Settings API for QML

Jeremy Katz jeremy.k.list at gmail.com
Fri Jun 21 23:24:29 CEST 2013

On 06/21/2013 09:58 AM, Hausmann Simon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I like this, but as a next step I think it would be good to get rid of the manual JS code for saving.
>
> What about a general syntax of annotating properties? Then settings could be implemented on top by introspecting for properties annotated with settings tags and then save/restore then.

I feel like discussion of what this is for has taken a secondary
position to syntax and implementation details.

* Is access limited to the application, shared (system wide or multiple
scopes?), or both?

     * If shared, does an application receive notification of external
updates?

     * If shared, does an application have control over when changes are
propagated?

* Is this targeting a designated storage format, or system (plugin?)
implementation defined?

* Is the storage meant to be usable by non-Qt applications?

* Is the storage hierarchical?

To some degree, all of these have been discussed. Have any conclusions
been reached, or are we waiting for a decision by implementation?

Jeremy