[Development] Toolability of mixing QML and JS

Rutledge Shawn Shawn.Rutledge at digia.com
Wed Jun 26 16:01:35 CEST 2013

On 26 Jun 2013, at 3:00 PM, Bubke Marco wrote:
> I'm not sure that you know how is works now so I believe you are not in the context. Ok, here how the designer works:
>
> First we have a Rewriter which sits on top of the AST. It is the brigde between the our DOM like model and the AST. From the model there is a view which is generating a qml tree in a other process. This is not the preview because we need more control for example no animations etc.. So we generate the qml object tree not from text but directly(actual there is no good interface to do it).

This sounds like nice functionality to have in the QtQuick 2 engine.  But I'm still wondering why an AST and a DOM have to be so different.  IMO the AST should be complete enough that you could introspect it?  since it's already enough for the engine to construct a scene, right?

> Than we read back the values and images and compose the scene in a graphicsview, fill the values in the property editor etc..

OK, that's good to know.

> The approach with the different process has additional advantage that a crash is not that bad, we can link with different Qt versions and can restart the process because there was a problem which we call "componentComplete lazy programming".

Can you describe more of what goes wrong?  I've run into problems with what componentComplete actually means several times too.