[Development] Qml/Quick Designe Decision Wiki or how to avoid generating work for other stakeholders

Bubke Marco Marco.Bubke at digia.com
Thu Jun 27 17:58:59 CEST 2013

Hi

We have some implicit design decisions in Qml/Quick/FxItems but there is not really a documentation for it
so changes are happen which are really hurting. Let give me a example:

Every graphical item should be derived from QQuickItem. So for graphical content in a Qml file there should be a item as root object. But now there is ApplicationWindow which looks a little bit like a bastard. It is actually a QuickView aka a Window with the special property contentItem. So we break a design decisions which is really hurting the qml designer. Thomas  has written some magic code after he has seen the wizard of Oz with his daughter but you know he hasn't still not seen all this Harry Potter movies so it is working somewhat but not very well. To get it working very well we had to rewrite our adaption code around the existing C++ interface of Qml. And how Alan stated it, it is not a clean interface. It would take much time and would generate new bugs. You see this is generating work. Work which would be not existing if we would had sticked to the design decision that every graphical item is a quick item.

So my proposal is to write all this informal decisions down in a wiki. If anybody wants to change that he should ask every stakeholder if it is ok etc..

Maybe something like the PEPs in Python.

Best regards, Marco