[Development] Future of QtOpenCL

Uwe Rathmann Uwe.Rathmann at tigertal.de
Sun Jun 30 09:18:56 CEST 2013

On Sat, 29 Jun 2013 22:18:04 +0200, Sebastian Lehmann wrote:

>> I have thought about reviving the project myself, but bounced off the
>> burden of contributing rules, and means. (gerrit, git and the likes,
>> although I do use git myself with collegues)

Before starting with this project you should ask yourself if it is better
to do develop it inside or outside of Qt - or in other words: what is the
advantage of being a Qt module compared to addons like Qxt or Qwt ?

The very first issue for an existing project is about checking its
license. At the time when I was asking myself the same question for my
project I would have had to change the license - giving Nokia control.
Beside the fact, that I didn't want this: any change of the license
requires permission of all contributors to the existing code - hard to
collect for a project with some history ( in my case 16 years ). Hope
this has changed nowadays.

But even then you should be aware, that being a Qt module means
administrative overhead and you should have an idea what real advantages
to expect. Being a Qt module only because of being one doesn't make the
project more useful or attractive to other users/developers.

Uwe