[Development] White space / coding style patches welcome?

Oswald Buddenhagen oswald.buddenhagen at digia.com
Wed Mar 13 10:30:08 CET 2013

On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 01:38:31AM +0100, Axel Waggershauser wrote:
> I'd say in terms of Lars's worries about having automatic checks in
> place before attacking whitespace issues, there should not be any
> objection against fixing at least those 4 issues immediately.

> One might ask, though, if it would be a good idea to actually enforce
> the checks instead of merely letting the Sanity Bot warn about them?

actual enforcement was lars' request.
but this clearly requires a very low false report rate to be accepted.

> Or maybe to account for the very last line of the coding style wiki:
> "Feel free to break a rule if it makes your code look bad."?

in my experience, this escape rule applies mostly to rules that are way
too complex for the sanity checker anyway, so there is no practical
conflict with enforcing the simple rules.

> I had a look at the statistics (ignoring both 3rdparty and auto
> generated files): about 2k lines in qtbase suffer from trailing
> whitespace and about 3k from leading tabs (of which more than 1k are
> from two files in tests/auto alone). Interestingly, the overlap of
> those two issues is about 10 lines only.

interesting. i remember a much higher overlap. but this may have been in
the qt3support module, which was simply deleted.

> Given that the trailing ws issue is very easily fixed by a one-liner
> as Corentin has used and that the overlap with the tab issue is so
> small, I suggest to fix all those 2k lines of trailing whitespace
> adding the couple tab-fixes manually, so the sanity bot is happy, and
> commit that in one go.
>
> Then in a second step deal with tabs and maybe other ws issues, that
> require manual intervention in smaller chunks.

ok, sounds like a plan. go ahead.

> I'll also look into meaningful additional checks to be added to sanitize-commit.

cool.