[Development] Starting preparations for Qt 5.1

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Mar 18 12:04:19 CET 2013


On Monday 18 March 2013 11:00:57 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> On 18.3.2013 12.42, "Sean Harmer" <sean.harmer at kdab.com> wrote:
> >On Monday 18 March 2013 10:27:45 Shaw Andy wrote:
> >> > Making of Qt 5.1 minor release will soon start:
> >> > 
> >> > - Plan is to move 'dev' into 'stable' branch on March 19th.
> >> > 
> >> > - After March 19th any changes that are required to get in for 5.1
> >> > 
> >> >   need to be pushed into 'stable' branch. So if your needed changes
> >>
> >>don't
> >>
> >> > make it today,
> >> > 
> >> >   please wait after the merge is done and re-target it.
> >> > 
> >> > - I haven't planed to create any branch yet for commits already in
> >> > 'stable' and not in 'release'. So speak up if this is needed.
> >> > 
> >> > - If we decide to do 5.0.3, it could be done from the 'release'
> >>
> >>branch.
> >>
> >> Considering that people have been developing on stable on the basis
> >>
> >>that it
> >>
> >> is in fact 5.0.x, I think we should at least make sure that those
> >>
> >>changes
> >>
> >> end up somewhere in case we do a 5.0.3 release for whatever reason.
> >>
> >>Rather
> >>
> >> than lose those changes because we merged, could a read only branch be
> >> created from the current stable and then merge that into release should
> >>
> >>a
> >>
> >> 5.0.3 release happen? So no more work would be done for 5.0.x unless it
> >>
> >>is
> >>
> >> decided to make a 5.0.3 release.
> >
> >I agree. 5.0.3 may never happen but this is good practise and a sensible
> >precaution to take in case we do decide to release one.
> 
> It is not very likely that someone decides to stay with 5.0.x, so whatever
> we do should be such that encourages users to get to 5.1.x, thus we do not
> need 5.0.x to overlap with 5.1.x as we do with 4.8.x.
> 
> As you know 5.0.2 is in the works to be out soon and will introduce a
> great number of fixes over 5.0.1. I hope they are enough to carry us to
> 5.1.0.
> 
> I see three reasons for making 5.0.3:
> 
> -> A security issue mandating immediate fix release => that can and should
> be done on top of 5.0.2 with a minimal amount of fixes directly in the
> release branch
> -> A 'brown paper bag' issue in 5.0.2 mandating fix and making or 5.0.3 to
> have something usable => that can and should be done in the release branch
> with very small amount of changes to 5.0.2
> -> Severe problems in getting 5.1 out increasing the need of getting 5.0.3
> => In this situation everyone doing releases is working with 5.1, so even
> if there is a need, we can not make 5.0.3 without causing even more
> problems to 5.1 (please not that this is a theoretical situation, I do not
> expect any problems with 5.1)
> 
> Thus I think that it is enough to tag the stable branch before we merge
> from dev. In case we ever need to get the situation before, it can be done
> easily.

Since you list several reasons why we may well need a Qt 5.0.3, then why not 
do it properly and just make a branch as Andy suggests? What is the downside?

Cheers,

Sean

--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB, a KDAB Group company
Tel. Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
KDAB - Qt Experts - Platform-independent software solutions



More information about the Development mailing list