[Development] [QA] Suggestion -- Setting Up the Priority in JIRA

Knoll Lars Lars.Knoll at digia.com
Mon Mar 18 12:45:03 CET 2013

On 3/14/13 1:00 PM, "Jason McDonald" <macadder1 at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 11:48 PM, Anttila Janne <Janne.Anttila at digia.com>
>wrote:
>> Jason McDonald wrote:

>>> When we first introduced Jira, we allowed the priority field to be set
>>> by the reporter, and this resulted in me spending rather a lot of time
>>> turning P0's and P1's into P3's and P4's.  Before long my boss decided
>>> to hide the priority field from the Create Issue form.  I don't know
>>> whether the climate has changed enough since then for it to be
>>> reasonable to expect a different result if we were to put the priority
>>> field back in the form.
>>>

>> Would it be possible to bring priority field back for certain JIRA
>>roles,
>> if not for everyone?
>
>Sure, approvers and maintainers were not the source of the problem.
>The grossly exaggerated priorities mostly came from Qt users (as
>opposed to those developing Qt) and from a subset of Nokia's QA
>contractors.

We could certainly benefit from better initial information on the bug. The
way to solve this could be to use some sort of questionnaire during the
creation of the bug (does it cause crashes, do you have a workaround,
etc.) and compute an initial priority depending on the answers.

Still I think we need to make it easy for people to get 'bug evaluation'
privileges in Jira without requiring them to be Approvers. So a group for
people with somewhat extended Jira editing rights would be a good thing
IMO.

Cheers,
Lars