[Development] Starting preparations for Qt 5.1

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Mar 18 12:55:37 CET 2013


On Monday 18 March 2013 11:29:54 Knoll Lars wrote:
> On 3/18/13 12:04 PM, "Sean Harmer" <sean.harmer at kdab.com> wrote:
> >On Monday 18 March 2013 11:00:57 Turunen Tuukka wrote:
> >> On 18.3.2013 12.42, "Sean Harmer" <sean.harmer at kdab.com> wrote:
> >> >On Monday 18 March 2013 10:27:45 Shaw Andy wrote:
> >> >> > Making of Qt 5.1 minor release will soon start:
> >> >> > 
> >> >> > - Plan is to move 'dev' into 'stable' branch on March 19th.
> >> >> > 
> >> >> > - After March 19th any changes that are required to get in for 5.1
> >> >> > 
> >> >> >   need to be pushed into 'stable' branch. So if your needed changes
> >> >>
> >> >>don't
> >> >>
> >> >> > make it today,
> >> >> > 
> >> >> >   please wait after the merge is done and re-target it.
> >> >> > 
> >> >> > - I haven't planed to create any branch yet for commits already in
> >> >> > 'stable' and not in 'release'. So speak up if this is needed.
> >> >> > 
> >> >> > - If we decide to do 5.0.3, it could be done from the 'release'
> >> >>
> >> >>branch.
> >> >>
> >> >> Considering that people have been developing on stable on the basis
> >> >>
> >> >>that it
> >> >>
> >> >> is in fact 5.0.x, I think we should at least make sure that those
> >> >>
> >> >>changes
> >> >>
> >> >> end up somewhere in case we do a 5.0.3 release for whatever reason.
> >> >>
> >> >>Rather
> >> >>
> >> >> than lose those changes because we merged, could a read only branch
> >>
> >>be
> >>
> >> >> created from the current stable and then merge that into release
> >>
> >>should
> >>
> >> >>a
> >> >>
> >> >> 5.0.3 release happen? So no more work would be done for 5.0.x unless
> >>
> >>it
> >>
> >> >>is
> >> >>
> >> >> decided to make a 5.0.3 release.
> >> >
> >> >I agree. 5.0.3 may never happen but this is good practise and a
> >>
> >>sensible
> >>
> >> >precaution to take in case we do decide to release one.
> >> 
> >> It is not very likely that someone decides to stay with 5.0.x, so
> >>
> >>whatever
> >>
> >> we do should be such that encourages users to get to 5.1.x, thus we do
> >>
> >>not
> >>
> >> need 5.0.x to overlap with 5.1.x as we do with 4.8.x.
> >> 
> >> As you know 5.0.2 is in the works to be out soon and will introduce a
> >> great number of fixes over 5.0.1. I hope they are enough to carry us to
> >> 5.1.0.
> >> 
> >> I see three reasons for making 5.0.3:
> >> 
> >> -> A security issue mandating immediate fix release => that can and
> >>
> >>should
> >>
> >> be done on top of 5.0.2 with a minimal amount of fixes directly in the
> >> release branch
> >> -> A 'brown paper bag' issue in 5.0.2 mandating fix and making or 5.0.3
> >>
> >>to
> >>
> >> have something usable => that can and should be done in the release
> >>
> >>branch
> >>
> >> with very small amount of changes to 5.0.2
> >> -> Severe problems in getting 5.1 out increasing the need of getting
> >>
> >>5.0.3
> >>
> >> => In this situation everyone doing releases is working with 5.1, so
> >>
> >>even
> >>
> >> if there is a need, we can not make 5.0.3 without causing even more
> >> problems to 5.1 (please not that this is a theoretical situation, I do
> >>
> >>not
> >>
> >> expect any problems with 5.1)
> >> 
> >> Thus I think that it is enough to tag the stable branch before we merge
> >> from dev. In case we ever need to get the situation before, it can be
> >>
> >>done
> >>
> >> easily.
> >
> >Since you list several reasons why we may well need a Qt 5.0.3, then why
> >not
> >do it properly and just make a branch as Andy suggests? What is the
> >downside?
> 
> If required, we can always create that branch later on (ie. branch from
> the latest sha1 in stable before we merged dev back to stable). Is there a
> real reason why we should do it now? I don't really see one.

It's no big deal. It just seemed more logical to me to create a 5.0 branch 
than a tag like "branch_from_here_if_5.0.3_is_needed". As long as it is 
possible to provide for the potential of a future release in the 5.0.x series, 
then whether it is done via branching or tagging now doesn't really matter.

Cheers,

Sean
--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Senior Software Engineer
Klarälvdalens Datakonsult AB, a KDAB Group company
Tel. Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090, USA +1-866-777-KDAB(5322)
KDAB - Qt Experts - Platform-independent software solutions



More information about the Development mailing list