[Development] Qt5 Branch-Guidelines and maintaining older Qt5 version

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Mar 19 18:17:09 CET 2013

On terça-feira, 19 de março de 2013 17.40.40, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> Tirsdag 19. mars 2013 13.26.22 skrev Tomasz Olszak:
> > Hello,
> > I read this <http://qt-project.org/wiki/Branch-Guidelines> article but
> > still do not understand one aspect.
> >
> > Could someone explain the process of bug fixing (e.g. bug in QString) 5.0
> > and releasing 5.0.x version after releasing 5.1.0 version on release
> > branch? I suppose that either I don't have enough git knowledge or
> > mentioned article does not fully cover process of maintenance older Qt5
> > version in the future.
> >
> > As far I understand, when 5.0.0 was released some bugfixes was merged and
> > 5.0.1 tag was added in release branch. After releasing Qt 5.1 version how
> > critical fixes will be added to 5.0 version without having 5.0 branch?
>
> The current plan is that 5.0.2 is the last 5.0 release.
> In case of security issues or other badly needed updates we can create a
> branch at any point in time from the 5.0.2 tag.

There will be an old/5.0 branch containing the state of the stable branch
shortly before dev was merged into it. Whether those changes are ever released
in a 5.0.x release will depend on future circumstances. Current plan is that
there will be no further 5.0.x releases. And even if there are due to security
issues, we may choose to branch off the release tag.