[Development] Qt5 Branch-Guidelines and maintaining older Qt5 version

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Mar 19 18:49:52 CET 2013

On terça-feira, 19 de março de 2013 18.27.40, Tomasz Olszak wrote:
> > There will be an old/5.0 branch containing the state of the stable branch
> > shortly before dev was merged into it. Whether those changes are ever
> > released
> > in a 5.0.x release will depend on future circumstances. Current plan is
> > that
> > there will be no further 5.0.x releases. And even if there are due to
> > security
> > issues, we may choose to branch off the release tag.
>
> Now it's clear how 3rd party companies can rely on eventual maintenance of
> 5.0 version.

I don't know whether this was meant to be ironic or not.

The old/5.0 branch will be created for two reasons:
 * we may want to do a future 5.0.x release, in case circumstances change
 * vendors providing longer support, such as Digia and Linux distributions,
   may want to integrate those changes in their own releases.

One possible "circumstance change" is that the 5.1.0 release process takes
longer than expected. If we can't get 5.1.0 out within 3 months of 5.0.2, I'll
be among those requesting a 5.0.3 release. There are currently 101 patches in
stable that aren't in releases (97 not cherry-picked, according to git
cherry).