[Development] [Announce] Qt 5.0

Turunen Tuukka Tuukka.Turunen at digia.com
Tue Mar 19 23:36:03 CET 2013

On 19.3.2013 17.20, "Thiago Macieira" <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:

>On terça-feira, 19 de março de 2013 14.55.57, Ahumada Sergio wrote:
>> On 12/19/2012 04:56 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:> On quarta-feira, 19 de
>> dezembro de 2012 14.07.29, List for announcements
>> >
>> > The Qt Project link is:
>> > 	http://qt-project.org/downloads
>> >
>> > By the way, there's no mention at all of the official split packages.
>>It
>> > links only to the big (and in my eyes, deprecated) big tarballs.
>>
>> [sorry for bringing this old stuff back]
>>
>> So for 5.0.2 .. should we list all the split .tar.gz and .zip packages
>>in a
>> two column table ?
>>
>> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTWEBSITE-502 seems to be
>>related.
>> I can take care of it for 5.0.2 if we decide this is the way to go (I
>>don't
>> remember when this was declared "official").
>
>The split packages are the way that Linux distributions will build Qt, so
>it
>must work. It's also the only way (so far) that people could opt in and
>out of
>extra modules. If people don't want webkit, they simply don't have to
>download
>it and build it.
>
>The bigger package is simply a convenience for people who want to build
>everything.
>
>> > Since there's no way for people to build only parts of the system --
>>for
>> > example, to skip building webkit -- the split tarballs are the
>>correct way
>> > forward.
>>
>> ps: I am assuming that we will continue to generate the big tarballs
>>and put
>> them somewhere, but then won't be shown in the
>> http://qt-project.org/downloads page.
>
>They can be shown, provided that they appear after the split tarballs and
>that
>they are a convenience for downloading and building everything.

Instead of the download page, I would like to agree upon the way how the
split packages are shown at download.qt-project.org.

Especially as with introduction of the online installer the way users
handle modules is changing we should likely use the actual distribution
system as the official source rather than a separate download page (that
points to the distribution system).

Yours,

Tuukka