[Development] [QA] Suggestion -- Setting Up the Priority in JIRA

Mitch Curtis mitch.curtis at digia.com
Wed Mar 20 13:52:35 CET 2013

On 03/20/2013 12:53 PM, Jocelyn Turcotte wrote:> On Wed, Mar 20, 2013 at
12:05:31PM +0100, Mitch Curtis wrote:
>> The idea of allowing everyone to set priorities for bugs originally
>> sounded risky to me, but the more I think about and discuss the
>> alternatives, the better it sounds. I'm going to propose something:
>
> I see your proposition, but I would like if you would explain what it would improve, the motivation behind it.
>
> For me the priority is only valuable if all bugs are triaged according to the same scale.
> For emotional reason, no user is going to bother filling a bug report and set it to "low" priority. Since a big share of bug reports are reported by user, that means that part of the bug will be reported with a scale of P1-to-P5 as reference, while the rest will use a compressed P1-to-P3 scale.
> I like the idea that a group of tightly connected people do the triaging for that reason.

Perahps I should have sent my proposal as a separate email, as it's not
at all dependent on the user being able to set the priority. I'm less
bothered by whether or not users can set priority than whether or not
they create useful bug reports. When I'm looking at an untouched bug,
the biggest issue is whether or not I'm able to reproduce it;
determining the priority is almost always easy. My proposal aims to
encourage the creation of useful bug reports where the only thing that
needs to be done by someone trying to determine whether it is valid or
not (which is separate from setting the priority) is copy the code from
the report into Creator and run it. Like I said, making certain fields
mandatory won't stop *everyone* from creating less-than-useful bug
reports, but it helps. The fields that I stole from Lars' suggestions
(regression, workaround) related to the questionnaire are useful
regardless of whether the user can set the priority and I don't think
that they need to be explained.

>> Everyone with a Qt Project Jira account can set the priority for a
>> *bug*; suggestions should probably not have a priority field at all. The
>> importance of a suggestion can be determined by the amount of
>> voters/watchers.
>
> Votes are a user pulse tool, priority is a project management tool.
> For example, if for one suggestion a paying voter is giving the assignee 10x more $$$ than all the rest of the voters on a different suggestion, the assignee will probably want to track the high-revenue suggestion as more important. So I think that importance is also relevant for suggestions.

I'm not so sure that someone being *payed* to implement a suggestion
should be relying on a publically available priority field in Jira to
track their work.