[Development] QNetworkRequest: allow overriding connect host

Justin Karneges justin at affinix.com
Fri May 10 08:32:40 CEST 2013

On 05/09/2013 10:59 PM, Thiago Macieira wrote:
> On quinta-feira, 9 de maio de 2013 22.43.06, Justin Karneges wrote:
>>> Good. Then you can use QHostInfo, since it will use only 5 threads.
>>
>> I should have been more clear. I may not want 100 threads, but I also
>> don't want queries being blocked by others.
>
> Our experience is that DNS servers on home routers are quite poor. Flood them
> with queries and they will crash or send corrupted data or drop packets. There
> was a famous case of the German Fritzbox in KDE.
>
> That's why we do no more than 5 queries at a time. You may want to consider
> the same.

As I said earlier, this is for a server application. There are a cluster
of server nodes almost entirely dedicated to performing tons of outbound
HTTP requests as quickly as possible.

One could maybe call into question my usage of QNAM in such an
application, but I think my usage of event-driven DNS is reasonable.

> Also, please note that hostname resolution is more than DNS. I really urge you
> to use *only* the services provided by the OS, nothing else.

I'm well aware of this, having worked at that depth. Anyway, this is not
an end-user app that needs to work in every single environment.

Justin