[Development] When debugging an application (using visual studio), Failed to load platform plugin "windows". Available platforms are:

魏越闽 weiyuemin at 7fgame.com
Sat May 11 09:12:03 CEST 2013

Hi,
I’ve been experiencing this problem from time to time for a month and more.

I do know the error ‘Failed to load platform plugin "windows” ‘, it is because a ‘platforms’ folder should be there with my application.

But copying ‘platforms’ folder and others is what I should do when deploying.
I need a convenient way to debug a Qt application. It’s too heavy to copy all these dependent dlls and plugins to the project folder whenever I create a small Qt project.

In normal condition, When I press F5 (Start Debugging) in Visual Studio, it will start an new debug instance, loading all dependent Qt dlls and plugins from $(QTDIR). The ‘platforms’ folder is located at $(QTDIR)\plugins. I don’t copy it to my application’s folder, but it can find the plugins.

But sometimes things go bad. When I press F5 (Start Debugging), it can find Qt dlls like Qt5Guid.dll,Qt5Quickd.dll, and so on from $(QTDIR)\bin, but can’t find plugins from $(QTDIR)\plugins
When it can’t find the plugin, this condition will last long time.

And I copied the QtDir to another machine then it works well there.

What may the problem be? In normal condition, what mechanism do Qt use to find these plugins when debugging a program? I guess QtVSAddin is handling these. So is it a Bug of QtVSAddin ?

I’m using Visual Studio 2010 and QtVSAddin 1.2.1 (the problem also exist when I’m using QtVSAddin 1.2.0)

Thank you :)

By the way,
the thread I post a month ago: http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/26001/
And I found another thread discussing this: http://qt-project.org/forums/viewthread/22908
HarrySatt faced the problem when starting a debug session. Finally, he bypassed the problem by setting the enviroment variable QT_QPA_PLATFORM_PLUGIN_PATH. I don’t think it’s a good way.

Wei Yuemin
7FGame