[Development] Re: System-wide font preferences for monospace font

Jan Kundrát jkt at flaska.net
Wed May 15 17:40:58 CEST 2013

On Thursday, 9 May 2013 22:41:07 CEST, Jan Kundrát wrote:
> However, both KDE and Gnome's settings each include more data,
> including the font size and options like bold, italic etc. Are
> these also handled by fontconfig, so that when I ask for a
> "Monospace" I always get the font with a correct size and
> "style"?

It doesn't seem so, based on my reading of the docs. If I am right, this means that there is some value in having a cross-platform way of obtaining "user's preferred fixed-width font, including the font size". For example on this machine, I have a "DejaVu Sans 10" as the default font but "Monospace 9", whatever it actually is, as the fixed width font. If I relied on fontconfig, I'd get a 10pt "Monospace" which is too big for my preferences.

Am I right here?

Cheers,
Jan

--