[Development] CI status as of 31. May 2013 - Staging Disabled

Sarajärvi Tony Tony.Sarajarvi at digia.com
Fri May 31 06:45:07 CEST 2013

Hi

Staging has been disabled for a short while.

Some of those 'network problems' could be related to the Jenkins and integrator server running low on memory. We suspect that Jenkins running on Java leaks memory (kind of ironic with Java) or simply just eats up everything it can get. After odd symptoms has appeared a reboot has helped in the past. So I'll try that right after this ongoing QtBase build has finished.

Regards,
-Tony
-----------
Hi

A summary of all the problems and current status.

1)      Jenkins drops connections to clients - PROBLEM SPREADS

Initially this was only a windows problem, that occurred when we updated Java from U7 to U17. Apparently at the same time, some of the Javas on some machines got f#¤ked and we ended up with servers that didn't really have neither or both. This was partially fixed with reverting back to U7 with Puppet. However we still had some machines having this mess even today. Janne Anttila aided us and went through all 50 machines by hand and fixed the Java versions.

Today (22.5.) we also found one Mac 10.7 that has the same symptoms. Reason for this unknown. Cure: We brought the node offline and will look at it later.

---

30.5. More and more machines are affected by this, both virtual machines and physical machines alike are affected. Reason still unknown, but we'll start investigating.

2)      Windows 8's cmd.exe problem - WORKAROUND FOUND

We have Janne Anttila working on this problem now and we got good investigation reports from Friedemann on this. Thank you for that, and I'll give you an update if we get a solution for this. I'll discuss whether or not we'll 'forcesuccess' this for the time being. From what I've heard, that's something many of you would like to see ;)

---

This has been a problem since last year. Randomly Windows 8 fails builds due to this. Won't go any deeper on that one here.

---

30.5. Janne A. has apparently figured out where things go wrong, but not the reason why. He also has a workaround coming to the CI to circumvent the problem.

3)      Network problems - WORKAROUND COMING

30.5. This causes builds to fail Git operations for example. We'll implement some "retry" to circumvent these problems. Still at some point, we'll have to investigate what the underlying problem is, but currently it's in our backlog.

Regards,
-Tony

Tony Sarajärvi
Senior Software Designer
Digia, Qt

Digia Plc
Elektroniikkatie 10
FI-90590 Oulu

Email: tony.sarajarvi at digia.com<mailto:tony.sarajarvi at digia.com>
Mobile: +358 050 482 1416
http://qt.digia.com
| Blog<http://blog.digia.com/> | Twitter<https://twitter.com/digiaonline> | LinkedIn<http://www.linkedin.com/company/5119> | YouTube<http://www.youtube.com/digiaonline> | Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/digiaonline> |
PRIVACY AND CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This message and any attachments are intended only for use by the named addressee and may contain privileged and/or confidential information. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, copy or take any action in reliance on it. If you have received this message in error, please contact the sender immediately and delete the message and any attachments accompanying it. Digia Plc does not accept liability for any corruption, interception, amendment, tampering or viruses occurring to this message.