[Development] Moving JP2 imageformat from qt-solutions to qtimageformats

Jake Petroules jake.petroules at petroules.com
Wed Nov 6 20:09:48 CET 2013

On Nov 6, 2013, at 5:27 AM, Saether Jan-Arve <Jan-Arve.Saether at digia.com> wrote:

> Actually I support moving qtjp2k to qtimageformats.
>
> However, I'm still not convinced if there is a need for ICNS plugin outside OSX (It's not common on Windows, I have no idea about Linux).
> As for your cross platform icon editor, why can't it use ICO files? Although the ICO file format itself is somewhat weird, ICO files are much more likely to be supported on all platforms, since it won't rely on any 3rdparty library. It can also store PNG files, which Qt already have built-in support for.
>
> Jan Arve

The cross platform icon editor could use both ICO and ICNS files. My example was talking about the end _user_ perspective. If they want to create ICNS files, the fact that your editor decided to "use ICO instead" doesn't help them.

I also don't see how "outside of OS X" is even a concern when the code's already written and tested and doesn't depend on anything except the jp2 plugin (and certainly not any native APIs). Specifically making it not work outside of OS X would require more time and effort for seemingly no reason. The plugin is barely 400 lines of code, you wouldn't be saving much by switching to native APIs. You'd either offset it with overhead from Objective-C APIs, or end up simply having the same amount of code from the verbosity of the C APIs.

Furthermore, a comment in Mikkel's source appears to indicate that GDK-pixbuf supports ICNS, and if GNOME (which doesn't have very good OS X support and integration, especially compared to Qt) supports it, I don't see why we shouldn't. Besides, this is targeted for an optional, non-essential module. If you don't want the very minimal overhead of the ICNS plugin, just don't build it, and/or don't deploy it with your app. It is my understanding that is the whole point of the QtImageFormats module in the first place: to support optional, lesser used formats.

http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5.1/qtimageformats/qtimageformats-index.html

We have TGA or WBMP support - does anyone *really* use those? At least we can say with a straight face and reasonable conviction that ICNS support would be useful.
--
Jake Petroules
Chief Technology Officer
Email: jake.petroules at petroules.com