[Development] ABI change on arm*, call to distros' maintainers

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Fri Nov 8 13:57:37 CET 2013

On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 6:01 PM, Lisandro Damián Nicanor Pérez
<perezmeyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> In Debian we are considering if the problem of breaking ABI without a soname
> bump is worth the effort for armhf, but it would be also good to try and
> coordinate between distros so as to try to keep binary compatibility between
> us.
>
> What are you thinking about this?

At least from a Sailfish perspective, the change came too late. We
already released our ARM SDK, and as a result, we'll be sticking with
qreal == float (until such time as we can safely make a proper
transition, whenever that will be).

I should probably add that I find it a bit surprising that this change
happened without any real heads-up or warning, given how Qt normally
strives to *not* change ABI.

BR,

Robin