[Development] Color Management support in Qt 5?

Chris Gilbert cgilbert at knaldtech.com
Sun Nov 10 00:04:37 CET 2013

We created our own platform agnostic image loading and management code
outside of Qt due to lack proper support in QImage for non typical texel
formats/bit depths.

(We support 8bit/16bit/32bit int and 16bit/32bit floating point)

It should also be mentioned that on top of the QImage[Reader] code
supporting load for these "exotic" texel types, it's also important to
ensure that any kind of texel transformation documents which texel
formats it is able to operate in. (eg: if the transformation happens in
8bit int only it will degrade your 16 bit half float texel data during
down-conversion for transformation)

This is actually a surprisingly common "under the hood" issue with these
kinds of less texel types even in applications such as Adobe Photoshop.
(A good way to test is with a large (4k, 8k, etc) test input texture
with a unique value for each texel - it's easy to detect after a
load/save or non-destructive xform if you have reduced the number of
unique values and to what degree)

I'd be open to helping out with this in QImage if the feature is a
serious candidate for inclusion into Qt. I'd also very much like to see
optional support for the kind of formats that support this type of texel
data well, such as OpenEXR.

Thanks!
Chris Gilbert
Knald Technologies, LLC