[Development] Audio playback depends on... Qt5Widgets.dll?

Sze Howe Koh szehowe.koh at gmail.com
Thu Nov 14 01:00:08 CET 2013

Hello,

I just found out that my Qt Quick 2 application can't use the Audio
element unless I deploy Qt5Widgets.dll along with it. Otherwise, I get
this at runtime:

    defaultServiceProvider::requestService(): no service found for -
"org.qt-project.qt.mediaplayer"

I then wrote a console application that does nothing except play a
.wav file through QMediaPlayer. Same result -- the sound plays if
Qt5Widgets.dll is present, but "no service found" otherwise.

Is this expected? I understand the dependency on the Qt GUI module --
QMediaPlayer handles videos -- but what's required from the Qt Widgets
module for multimedia playback?

More importantly, is it possible to remove this dependency?

Regards,
Sze-Howe

(Tested on Qt 5.1.1 and Qt 5.2.0 Beta, Windows 8.1 x64, MSVC 2012 OpenGL)