[Development] QML and JavaScript extensions

Robin Burchell robin+qt at viroteck.net
Thu Nov 14 15:43:55 CET 2013

On Thu, Nov 14, 2013 at 3:08 PM, Topi Mäenpää <topi.maenpaa at intopii.com> wrote:
> Or rather could, if the interface wasn't a moving target.

If an interface is a moving target, that means that trying to promise
compatibility for it is generally a bad idea.

Once something is made public, you're stuck with it. For a very long
time, and maybe even forever if people get too attached to it. You
can't go back on that, so you need to be very, very sure you'll be
happy with it. As evidenced by the v8 to v4vm change, we aren't there
yet. And once we do expose it, we tie our hands from making future
changes that might be in our benefit.

I understand your pain. The company I work for has also had software
impacted by these changes (we did the QtScript to v8 port over the
summer, we're currently on 5.1, but soon we'll have to look at what
changes we need to make to move to 5.2).

But erring on the side of caution means we can more reliably end up
with something that we're free to keep improving in a backwards
compatible way to the majority of folks, while making the life of the
few inconvenient.

BR,

Robin