[Development] QML and JavaScript extensions

Milian Wolff milian.wolff at kdab.com
Fri Nov 15 11:06:41 CET 2013

On Thursday 14 November 2013 21:20:25 Topi Mäenpää wrote:

<snip>

> Qt is heading to a JavaScript-based future. Widgets are deprecated and
> replaced by QML.

This is not true, Widgets are _not_ deprecated. It's true that more and more
people adapt QML for UI designing, but you are free to choose.

http://qt-project.org/wiki/Qt_Modules_Maturity_Level

See:

> Widget classes like QPushButton, QLineEdit, etc.
> State: Done
> Reasoning: stable code for which stability and reduced risk of regressions
> are important, so we don’t recommend bringing the maturity level back up;
> Qt Quick-based development is expected for the future of UIs, with Qt Quick
> Components.

So yes, probably more and more people will experiment with QML, but that is
something completely different from saying QtWidgets are deprecated
alltogether.

Bye
--
Milian Wolff | milian.wolff at kdab.com | Software Engineer
Tel. Germany +49-30-521325470, Sweden (HQ) +46-563-540090