[Development] QML and JavaScript extensions

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 22:45:58 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 1:04 PM, Topi Mäenpää <topi.maenpaa at intopii.com> wrote:
> [...]
> In Qt4, widgets were still the main UI technology. Nowadays, widgets are
> "deprecated". (I'm putting quotes due to the comments to my last post,
> but it is really not hard to see where the development is heading.)
> Prior to QML apps, JavaScript has been a tool to provide scripting
> support for C++ applications, but applications were not based on it.
> Now, the situation has turned around: JavaScript/QML app, C++
> extensions. Therefore, I'm sticking to my statement: a good extension
> interface is an important feature.

We're not quite there with the JS/QML app, C++ extensions story. It's
the direction we're heading, and once we're there the extension
interface becomes a top priority. But it sounds like you're a bit
ahead of us here -  until 5.2 comes out, the only officially supported
route is a C++ app which loads a QML UI. There still are a lot of
important features to work on until I would suggest JS/QML app with
C++ extensions for the majority of app developers (stick to C++ app
with QML UI for now).

--
Alan Alpert