[Development] StereoViewport for Qt3D

Sean Harmer sean.harmer at kdab.com
Mon Nov 18 15:59:32 CET 2013

On Sunday 17 November 2013 23:11:32 Svenn-Arne Dragly wrote:
> On Wed 06 Nov 2013 12:54:07 PM CET, Rutledge Shawn wrote:
> > On 28 Oct 2013, at 10:35 PM, Svenn-Arne Dragly wrote:
> >> Secondly, I was missing a stereo option for the default QML Viewport
> >> element, and decided to have a look at the implementation in QGLView to
> >> see if I could port that to the QML Viewport element. Luckily this was
> >> quite easy (thanks to Qt3D being well designed) and I have uploaded the
> >> resulting StereoViewport element to a GitHub repository:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/dragly/stereoviewport
> >>
> >> This should compile with Qt5.1.1 and the latest master branch of Qt3D.
> >
> > Cool. Are you using it with an Oculus Rift, 3D TV or something else?
>
> Both and Oculus Rift and a 3D TV, actually. I have tested the stereo
> mode where the viewport is split in two thoroughly, with one half of the
> screen for the left eye and the other for the right. It works quite well
> and seems to be stable.
>
> >> Now, I'm wondering if this feature should be a part of the original
> >> Viewport element. Should I contribute this into the main Qt3D
> >> repository? If so, what steps should I take before doing this, apart
> >> from those listed in the Qt Contributing Guidelines? I'm for instance
> >> not sure if I might have introduced some bugs or damaged any features of
> >> the original Viewport element. How should I verify that I haven't
> >> done so?
> >
> > I don't know much about that but I'm sure you will get a reply from
> > someone who does. But it sounds like a good feature to have.
>
> I hope so too, but if I don't hear anything I'll just try pushing it to
> gerrit and see how it goes.

Apologies, I missed this thread. Yes, please submit the patch to gerrit. We're
not allowed to accept patches any other way. I don't have any 3D stereoscopic
devices to try it on yet so I'll have to take your word for that part.

Many thanks,

Sean

--
Dr Sean Harmer | sean.harmer at kdab.com | Managing Director UK