[Development] ChangeLog updated for 5.2.0

Marc Mutz marc.mutz at kdab.com
Mon Nov 25 19:47:24 CET 2013

On Monday, November 25, 2013 06:26:38 PM Alan Alpert wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Thiago Macieira
>
> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> > On segunda-feira, 25 de novembro de 2013 12:49:11, Marc Mutz wrote:
> >> I have found that significantly more than 50% of commits that touched
> >> qtbase/src/widgets since v5.1.0 end up in the change log. It could be a
> >> comment unless a Task-number is also present, in which case the bot
> >> could -1  the change.
> >
> > Your sampling is likely very biased. QtWidgets is in a state that almost
> > every change going in is a bugfix to something important.
> >
> > That does not translate to other libraries.
>
> Thiago is quite right. Let's look at the other end of the spectrum:
> qtdeclarative repo has had around 3016 commits since v5.1.0, and has
> about 9 changelog entries. That's around 0.3% of commits. Given that
> overriding the sanity bot has been made a deliberately user-unfriendly
> experience, I'd rather not add it to ~99% of commits.
>
> The qtdeclarative repo is of course biased to the other extreme. Both
> QtQml and QtQuick are in a state that most changes going in are
> reworking the internals, and fixing any regressions caused by such
> work. It's probably also missing some changelog entries, I still
> haven't gone through those 3016 commits yet to check ;) .

And no-one ever will, so we don't know and never will know how much ChangeLog
entries these should have generated.

For QtWidgets, we're talking O(256) commits, and it's already exhausting to
create a changelog ex post facto. For declarative, it looks impossible.

I don't see a contradiction to what I was proposing: -1 if task-number is
present, too, otherwise just warn.