[Development] ChangeLog updated for 5.2.0

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 22:08:28 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 10:47 AM, Marc Mutz <marc.mutz at kdab.com> wrote:
> On Monday, November 25, 2013 06:26:38 PM Alan Alpert wrote:
>> On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Thiago Macieira
>>
>> <thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Your sampling is likely very biased. QtWidgets is in a state that almost
>> > every change going in is a bugfix to something important.
>> >
>> > That does not translate to other libraries.
>>
>> Thiago is quite right. Let's look at the other end of the spectrum:
>> qtdeclarative repo has had around 3016 commits since v5.1.0, and has
>> about 9 changelog entries. That's around 0.3% of commits. Given that
>> overriding the sanity bot has been made a deliberately user-unfriendly
>> experience, I'd rather not add it to ~99% of commits.
>>
>> The qtdeclarative repo is of course biased to the other extreme. Both
>> QtQml and QtQuick are in a state that most changes going in are
>> reworking the internals, and fixing any regressions caused by such
>> work. It's probably also missing some changelog entries, I still
>> haven't gone through those 3016 commits yet to check ;) .
>
> And no-one ever will, so we don't know and never will know how much ChangeLog
> entries these should have generated.
>
> For QtWidgets, we're talking O(256) commits, and it's already exhausting to
> create a changelog ex post facto. For declarative, it looks impossible.

Well, I just did the impossible ;) .

> I don't see a contradiction to what I was proposing: -1 if task-number is
> present, too, otherwise just warn.

-1 is annoying (deliberately, as overriding -1's is supposed to be rare).

I'm happy to have it warn though. That's +0, and a comment along the
lines of "ChangeLog: Commit message references a task but does not
include a ChangeLog message. If the task is >=P2 and affected previous
versions, please add a ChangeLog entry"(I'm not hung up on the
wording, that's just what I'd write).

--
Alan Alpert