[Development] ChangeLog updated for 5.2.0

Alan Alpert 416365416c at gmail.com
Mon Nov 25 22:21:15 CET 2013

On Mon, Nov 25, 2013 at 11:43 AM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On segunda-feira, 25 de novembro de 2013 07:49:03, Thiago Macieira wrote:
>> On segunda-feira, 25 de novembro de 2013 12:49:11, Marc Mutz wrote:
>> > I have found that significantly more than 50% of commits that touched
>> > qtbase/src/widgets since v5.1.0 end up in the change log. It could be a
>> > comment unless a Task-number is also present, in which case the bot could
>> > -1  the change.
>>
>> Your sampling is likely very biased. QtWidgets is in a state that almost
>> every change going in is a bugfix to something important.
>>
>> That does not translate to other libraries.
>
> Stats for QtCore:
>
>  - 510 commits
>  - 21 commits had [ChangeLog]
>  - I added 37 after my second pass
>
> That's just 11% of the commits requiring changelogs.

Stats for qtdeclarative (whole repo):

-2944 commits (since v5.1.1, previous number was since v5.1.0 which
was incorrect).
-3 commits had [ChangeLog]*
-I added 25 after my second pass.

That's just 1.1% of the commits requiring changelogs.

Seems to vary a lot by module... or by maintainer. For comparison, my
"changelog threshold" was >=P2 bug affecting a previous version (or
feature) and my manual check was on just the commit logs since v5.1.1
(assisted by my particle-powered tool from the last changelog
discussion ;) ). Another thing to note, about half the commits were
from the v4 branch/repo merge, none of which are changelog eligible.
The continued work on v4 is also a large part of that commit number,
in case you're wondering where all those commits are going.

The * is for some interesting things I noticed. Of the 3 usages, 2 of
them were after Thiago's original email. Which means that if he had
run the script on QtDeclarative as well, he'd have gotten only 1 hit.
2 of them had the wrong module name, and 1 of them was arguably
ineligible (but I'm still following that up). So there's still quite
the manual pass needed, even if [ChangeLog] adoption picks up.

--
Alan Alpert