[Development] New Qt 5.2 snapshot build #172

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 26 19:19:04 CET 2013

On terça-feira, 26 de novembro de 2013 11:56:20, Jake Petroules wrote:
> I agree with everything you say and as an OS X user I feel your pain. Qt SDK
> absolutely should be a drag and drop installer just like Xcode.
> Unfortunately there are some major blockers in the way before we could
> begin to think about doing that - see
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-14150 (and
> https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-31814 as you said).

One big advantage is that we maintain one single codebase for all platforms.
Doing it the Mac way requires us to start doing Qt SDKs installations per
platform.

> I would argue there is value in an installer since there are multiple
> versions of the SDK available. But then again... an online installer is an
> easy way around this - put package management into Qt Creator preferences
> and store SDKs in /Applications/Qt
> Creator.app/Contents/SDKs/{mkspec}-{version}.qtsdk/  But what exactly do
> you include in the offline installer? OS X, iOS and two or three Android
> versions (and eventually BlackBerry?)? That would be massive. One solution
> is that SDKs bundles in a DMG could be provided as separate downloads (and
> the builtin package manager in QtC could automate downloading and
> installing them). The .qtsdk extension could be registered with Creator -
> double clicking it registers it with the Qt Creator version it's opened
> with, and QtC pops up a dialog even offering to move the SDK folder within
> its app bundle.

I'd expect you to download one .dmg that contains Creator and the online
installer / update tool. Then you *need* to run the update tool to download
any Qt version. Before you do that, Qt Creator is useful for writing C++ code,
but there will be no Qt versions to link against.

Also, the online update tool should be separate from Creator: don't install
the toolchains inside the Qt Creator bundle. That way, if someone wants to use
XCode and not Creator, they can simply remove the bundle by dragging to the
Trash.