[Development] New Qt 5.2 snapshot build #172

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Tue Nov 26 21:21:32 CET 2013

On terça-feira, 26 de novembro de 2013 14:46:06, Jake Petroules wrote:
> > One big advantage is that we maintain one single codebase for all
> > platforms.  Doing it the Mac way requires us to start doing Qt SDKs
> > installations per platform.
>
> Single codebase but a degraded user experience that makes Qt less appealing
> out of the box than, say, Xcode. If anything I would guess "the Mac way"
> would even be simpler than the other platforms.

Understood. However, the one big advantage of one codebase is that of lesser
maintenance burden.

If we start maintaining a Mac-specific installer layout and installer tools, it
increases our burden. And most likely we'd need to create Linux binary
packages using build.opensuse.org too, which again adds burden.

So, as much as this would look desirable, it will not leave the paper unless
someone volunteers to start experimenting with it. Let's see some volunteers
trying it during the 5.2.x timeframe. If it works fine, we can release it
officially for 5.3.0.