[Development] Integration of qt5.git

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Fri Nov 29 19:07:15 CET 2013

On sexta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2013 17:16:31, Gladhorn Frederik wrote:
> I'd like to propose the following:
> Automate qt5.git integration completely (the bot updates the modules and
> instantly stages the update), this could happen around 3 times per day.
> This integration would not run any tests and should generally just succeed
> unless we break compilation of one modules by changing it's dependencies
> (happens very seldom). Failures send email to this mailing list.
>
> Since we lose the test runs for all modules at the same time I'd like to
> have a second and new job in Jenkins that runs nightly and builds and runs
> all tests of all modules (according to qt5.git state). This job doesn't
> mean anything for the integration and doesn't block but simply sends mail
> to this list whenever any test fails. I actually expect it to fail
> regularily since we have quite a few unstable unit tests that every once in
> a while fail. I hope that this approach gives actually more visibility to
> failing auto tests than what we currently have.
>
> I hope all in all this lets us move faster and get releases out with less
> pain and stress since it's faster to include a patch or two in the release
> branch. And it lessens the different experiences people have when checking
> out qt5.git.

I'm a bit ambivalent about updating qt5.git without tests. On one hand, it
means we can introduce cross-dependency regressions. Experience from before Qt
had a CI shows that unit tests that don't block integration are often
forgotten and not fixed. I'm not sure that an email would be enough nagging.

On the other hand, you're right that almost none of the developers are using
that configuration. So maybe it is a good thing to have it be closer to what we
are using. And if you guys think that this is a good solution and will also
raise attention to flaky tests, I support the idea.