[Development] OpenGL drivers

Mark Gaiser markg85 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 22:29:12 CET 2013

On Fri, Nov 29, 2013 at 7:01 PM, Thiago Macieira
<thiago.macieira at intel.com> wrote:
> On sexta-feira, 29 de novembro de 2013 12:27:44, Sletta Gunnar wrote:
>> So, I'm asking that if you encounter issues with flickering, crashes, bad
>> rendering and similar, help us track which things are problematic by filing
>> a bugreport on bugreports.qt-project.org and use the label "driverissue" in
>> the task. Please  include OS, windowing system, graphics hardware and
>> driver version. And since most of the workarounds have been applied to Qt
>> 5.2, do test against the 5.2 RC1 or later.
>
> Do you consider fonts looking the wrong size to be bad rendering and a driver
> issue? Fonts in the Creator welcome screen look to be of a different size than
> the rest of Creator.
>
> I'd consider it a font issue only, not a driver issue.

What you refer to are probably the fonts rendered through QML. By
default QML renders fonts with the "distance field" stuff [1]. It
looks awesome on mobile, but looks horrible on the desktop. This has
been known for a while [2] but apparently there is no effort ongoing
to improve the situation for the desktop users.

Globally setting the "QML_DISABLE_DISTANCEFIELD" variable makes it use
the native font system again and makes it look nice:)

[1] http://blog.qt.digia.com/blog/2011/07/15/text-rendering-in-the-qml-scene-graph/
[2] https://bugreports.qt-project.org/browse/QTBUG-28993