[Development] Making QScopedPointer scoped (again)

Jocelyn Turcotte jocelyn.turcotte at digia.com
Tue Sep 3 11:57:06 CEST 2013

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 11:44:58AM +0200, Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Em, what?
>
> I suppose you didn't read the patch. Am I correct?
>
> The patch *only* has an effect for people using C++11, where it is redundant
> because of std::unique_ptr.
>
> The original patch only tries to make QScopedPointer something it's not.

Another thing to keep in mind is that QScopedPointer is also partially redundant with std::auto_ptr. Yet, it exists and people use it instead.
QScopedPointer is also used in many classes as a member, which conflicts with its name, and it does that job pretty well anyway.

The way I see it is that its name is just too specific to encapsulate all the situations where it can be useful.

My name is Jocelyn, it's a girl name in english speaking countries, but that doesn't mean I should behave like a girl there.

Just my 2 cents.
Cheers,
Jocelyn