[Development] Making QScopedPointer scoped (again)

Stephen Kelly stephen.kelly at kdab.com
Wed Sep 4 22:15:48 CEST 2013

On Wednesday, September 04, 2013 19:48:53 Knoll Lars wrote:
> Given that we have less then 3 weeks until feature freeze (1) or (3) sound
> more attractive for 5.2.

That's not relevant.

QScopedPointer is not moved anywhere in Qt 5.2. No code depends on the patch.
My revert should be approved and we should go with option 4:

4) We revert the change that added moving to QScopedPointer. When there is a
need for QUniquePointer in the future, it is added. The new QUniquePointer
shouldn't have the bug I pointed out previously regarding constness:

 http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.qt.devel/12900/focus=12915

Preferably it shouldn't have other bugs either, and it should be compared to
std::unique_ptr during review.

> I believe that c++11's unique_ptr is already available to most developers
> using Qt, so in that case, it might make more sense to leave
> QScopedPointer as in 5.1 (since an exact copy of that class is not
> available in C++11), and refer people to unique_ptr for the other use
> cases.

Particularly as any downstream who is able to move a QScopedPointer (and
therefore is using c++11) does have std::unique_ptr.

So, to end the discussion, please +2 the patch:

 https://codereview.qt-project.org/#change,64428

Thanks,

--
Join us in October at Qt Developer Days 2013 - https://devdays.kdab.com