[Development] Fwd: Change in qt/qtbase[dev]: Enable -Werror for all of qtbase

Thiago Macieira thiago.macieira at intel.com
Thu Sep 5 08:37:50 CEST 2013

On quinta-feira, 5 de setembro de 2013 08:16:39, Olivier Goffart wrote:
> II agree with André here.
> You will also have to whitelist the version of all the libraries, else a new
> version of libpng/openssl/xcb/whatever add new unavoidable warning or
> deprecate function used in Qt.  And a developer working on other part of
> the library do not want to spend time fixing warning in a unrelated
> location.

Deprecation warnings are not errors. They are left as warnings.

Besides, how is this different from a change in a library causing a compiler
error? There have been several of those due to reliance on indirect includes,
for example.

Also, new compiler updates can break existing code if our code was bad. We're
using C++11 before all compilers implement everything, so it's quite possible
that better implementations cause existing code to break.

> All that results is development time lost.
> Not to mention the race everyone that someone introduce a warning not catch
> by the CI, there will be five times the same patch on gerrit to fix it
> because all the dev run into it in the same time, and duplicate the effort
> to fix it.
>
> Enabling it only on the CI on the other hand has the advantage to limit the
> warnings in the real code base by preventing patch that introduce some to
> get any, without bothering everyone with compilation errors unrelated to
> their code on their machine.

The whole point was to crowdsource the fixing of warnings. If we enable it on
the CI only, it defeats the purpose.