[Development] Making QScopedPointer scoped (again)

Daniel Teske daniel.teske at digia.com
Thu Sep 5 12:10:22 CEST 2013

On Wednesday 04 Sep 2013 22:15:48 Stephen Kelly wrote:
> On Wednesday, September 04, 2013 19:48:53 Knoll Lars wrote:
> > Given that we have less then 3 weeks until feature freeze (1) or (3)
> > sound more attractive for 5.2.
>
> That's not relevant.
>
> QScopedPointer is not moved anywhere in Qt 5.2. No code depends on the
> patch. My revert should be approved and we should go with option 4:
>
> 4) We revert the change that added moving to QScopedPointer. When there is
> a need for QUniquePointer in the future, it is added. The new
> QUniquePointer shouldn't have the bug I pointed out previously regarding
> constness:
QScopedPointer has never been a scoped pointer. It has always had a .reset()
method. That should never have been part of QScopedPointer. That somehow move
support is the tipping point for breaking QScopedPointer is insane.

After all adding move support can be fully implemented by public methods that
are already existing.

daniel#